Beach Safety Explained
The beach will always be a favorite destination for travelers of all ages. I work for Direct Service Overhead Garage Door Company, and I love to take my kids to the beach when my paid vacation time comes around. Its fun for the whole family. I’ve never seen a person who doesn’t love the sun and the sea! While everything about a beach trip is awesome, things can go ugly right away if you are not careful. This is why you got to practice beach safety at all times. Here are some tips you can use to keep yourself and others safe during a trip to the beach.
- Use your sunblock- The importance of applying sunblock before heading for the waters cannot be stated enough. The problem is a lot of people forget about it, or worse, frown upon it as some form of inconvenience. Applying sunblock will help protect you from multiple types of sun-related skin damage, from sunburns to skin cancer. Make sure to get a good-quality sunblock (the higher the SPF rating, the better); the amount of protection you get makes it worth the price of acquisition.
- The lifeguard is your friend- Many people view the lifeguard as a nuisance, especially when they get reprimanded for whatever reason (except maybe if he/she is a hottie). However, one should change that perspective. The lifeguard is your friend in more ways than one. You can get valuable information about the sea from them, and they can save you and your friends in times of trouble. For your safety, make sure to only swim within their immediate watch.
- Check warnings and advisories- A lot of people take a dip in the sea without looking at warnings and advisories. From now on, make sure to do so as it can save a lot of lives! There are safety advisories placed at the beach, indicating vital information such as strong currents, presence of animals that can present harm (ex.: sea urchins, jellyfish, and sharks, just to name 3), and sudden depth changes. Also, refrain from swimming in bad weather, as you can be vulnerable to huge waves and lightning strikes.
- Never swim at the sea alone, especially if you can’t swim!- It is important that you never go to the beach alone. Any expert will tell you that the ocean can be a very unpredictable place to be. This is especially so if you cannot swim to save your life! The best approach for beach safety is to never head for the ocean alone. Bring along a buddy if you intend to swim, and volunteer to be someone’s buddy if they want to go to the sea.
- Learn to swim- The most important skill to have as a beach-goer is to learn how to swim. It is already proven that learning even the basics of swimming will greatly increase your odds of not drowning. At the same time, your swimming skills can potentially save someone else’s life if necessary. It doesn’t matter what your age is, you can still learn how to swim. If you are a self-proclaimed beach body, knowing how to swim is an absolute must.
This video will show more safety tips while at the beach. Follow these tips and you can save yourself (and others) from potential trouble in paradise.